Facebook Connect Official Event Program Released
Facebook’s flagship AR/VR event is happening in six day’s time on September 16th, brought to you by the Facebook Reality Labs. The official program of the event has now been released. This year’s Facebook Connect, formerly Oculus Connect, will be streamed online due to the raging COVID-19 pandemic.
The conference will open with the keynote where Mark Zuckerberg and other leading tech executives will speak and introduce new features and products on everything AR/VR.
Facebook renamed the event to Facebook Connect from Oculus Connect because the format had evolved and it now encompasses “much more than just Oculus”. Specifically, it now includes Facebook’s AR platform Spark AR and Live Maps as well as its would be video chat device portal.
Recent events, including the discontinuation of Oculus Quest headset sales globally suggest that Facebook might unveil its new Oculus Quest 2 during the event. The reasons for Facebook’s apparent stoppage of Quest sales this week might be known during the Facebook Connect event.
We are expecting to hear news about Facebook’s virtual reality creative platform Facebook Horizon. Facebook Reality Labs Research might also be looking to reimagine the future with new high-end prototypes similar to the Half-Dome.
The Facebook Connect keynote will be streamed live via Facebook but the developer presentations will appear on YouTube.
It is now possible to access the scheduled lectures and other programs on the official Facebook Connect website. These will be as follows: –
- Come to Your Senses: Synesthesia in VR by Tetsuya Mizuguchi
- Creating Live Performances in Social VR by Sarah Malkin, Samantha Gorman and Katy Kelly
- Designing Live Media Experiences for Social VR by Osebo Akhigbe
- Developer Super Session
- Diverse Voices: Increasing Diversity and Accessibility in Development by Richard Duck, Josh Boykin, Hessvacio Hassan and Mari Kyle.
- Onward! Porting from PC VR to Quest by Cristiano Ferreira, Dante Buckley, Storm Griffith and Brian Provan.
- The State of Social Impact VR by Amy Seidenwurm, Sandra Bialystok, Alton Glass and Celine Tricart.
- VR Storytelling: A Magical New Format by Goro Fujita
- Building Your Community of Superusers
- Decisions, Decisions: PC VR or All-in-One
- Enabling influencers and sharing
- Extending Reality With Spark AR
- How Developers and ISVs are Accelerating VR Adoption in the Enterprise
- New Frontiers With Unity’s XR Platform
- New Ways to Prepare, Promote and Monetize
- New World of Possibilities With Unreal and Oculus
- Productivity, Super-powered by VR
- Securing your Content
- State of the Art GPU Profiling on Quest
- The Future of Web in VR for Work and Play
- John Carmack Unscripted
- Special Event